skip to main content


Students are not required to do service hours as a condition of graduation from Aliso Niguel High School/Capistrano Unified School District, however, most universities will, as a part of their application process, ask students to document service hours, extra-curricular activities and volunteer hours.  The general rule of thumb is to get involved in an activity that you are passionate about and can commit to for a length of time.  Universities will ask what types of activities you were involved in, how long you were committed to the activity and what skills you developed or how it affected you personally. 
You can earn a certificate from our PTSA through their TEAL CARES program for your volunteer hours.
Keep your own log. Be sure to keep a record of the organization's contact information, including the person you worked most closely with.

College Corner



If you are a student athlete who would like to participate in Division I, II or III sports while enrolled in college, you must sign up at the NCAA eligibility center listed below. Be sure to read all the information in the Student Athlete Guide so you understand the process.
NCAA Eligibility Center  
View the NCAA Approved Course List for Aliso Niguel as of 2023-2024
Remember, Coordinated Science I and II do not meet NCAA science requirements. Algebra IA and Algebra IB count as ONE year of Algebra. 
APEX coursework from this school/program, designated as "R" on students’ transcripts, meets NCAA nontraditional core-course legislation. 

Fresh Start coursework from this school/program meets NCAA nontraditional core-course legislation.


ROADMAP TO COLLEGE:  View a presentation about applying to college for UCs, CSUs, Private Colleges and Community Colleges and more.

Choosing a College Criteria:
Choosing a college is a very personal decision. Students should begin this process by considering a variety of factors that will directly impact their learning and ability to graduate from college, such as, academic atmosphere, housing, size of college, etc. 

You may wish to use the College Board website "Big Future "   You will answer some basic questions about yourself and your learning style. Then choose from a wide variety of options (ie campus size, location, median GPA, and more) to identify colleges that might be a 'good fit' for you.

College Application:  Universities prefer that admissions applications be completed online.  You can access CSU and UC applications through their prospective websites.  To complete an admissions application to private universities, you will need to  go directly to the school website.  Websites can be found through a search online.

College Application Fee:  Application fees will vary per institution, and will be due upon submission of your application.  Some universities offer fee waivers for those who qualify. 
High School Transcript:  To complete your CSU or UC application, you will need an unofficial copy of your high school transcript for self reporting your classes and grades.  Once you have been accepted to a CSU or UC campus, that particular campus will prompt you to have an OFFICIAL transcript sent from CUSD directly to them upon graduation from high school.  If you are applying to a private university, however, an OFFICIAL transcript will be required as part of the application process.  To order your official high school transcript please follow the instructions on the Transcript page.
College Admissions Exams/Tests:  Many schools including UCs and CSUs lifted their mandatory testing requirement due to COVID. Please see each school's website for more information.  For more information regarding the the SAT and ACT exams, please see College Admissions Testing on the navigation bar to the left.
College Essay or Personal Statement:    Private/Independent Universities as well as University of California will require a college essay as part of their application process.  The college essay is written in response to a prompt given to the student in the application. A college essay will not be required for applications to the California State University.
Letters of Recommendation: Most private university and scholarship applications will require that students submit letters of recommendation.  Some will specify who the recommender should be (teachers, employers, coaches, community and church leaders); others simply indicate how many recommendations are required.  Letters of recommendation give evaluators and selection committees' alternate information about you the person.  Keep in mind that these individuals will already have objective information - your grades, classes and test scores - they want to know about your character and who you are outside of the classroom, more appropriately, how others see you!! If you need a recommendation from your counselor,  please click here for more information.